Friday, April 27, 2012

How Do I Love You? Let Me Count the Scones!

108, I believe is the accurate count. Danielle asked me to make scones and other tea party favorites for her senior recital reception, for about 50 people. 
Well, I have never made scones before so I was a little intimidated.


Alice helped me through the process, the girls have eaten at her shop in Manhattan and say the food is fabulous. So, I went to an expert.


I made a batch of three different kinds: Berry, Chocolate chip, and lemon poppy seed.  
So, this is how it went... 
First I mixed the dry ingredients. Next, mixed the butter in using a pinch drop kind of action.


It ends up looking like this


I mixed in berries, or chips, or in this case lemon zest and poppy seeds. 
Made a hole in the center and added the  buttermilk.


By the way. I didn't exactly know what lemon zest was. Thank you google. I bought this little zester and a lemon and I was good to go. Did you know you can actually watch a video on line, on how to make scones. (yes, I did) That's where I got that nifty pinch-drop move :)


After I mixed it all together I dropped it on a heavily floured surface.
 It looked like a hot mess!


Next, I gently gathered the dough and formed it into a 1 & 1/2 inch thick circle. 
This is the chocolate chip one after I already used some.


I cut out small little triangles because I wanted mini scones. 
 I brushed some of them with heavy cream and sprinkled with sugar.
Then baked them at 425 for about 8-10 min.


The lemon poppy seed ones got a lemon glaze. I think these are my favorite!


the last step was obviously the taste test. A few scones gave their lives for this!


Yes Danielle, I do love you very much and would do it all again (someday)!
Her Recital is May 4th at 5PM at Mansfield University. 
If you come, you will get to hear an amazing performance and taste my scones.

Junior Year Recital






No comments:

Post a Comment