Friday, May 31, 2013

Leadership Day




I don't often blog about school but recently we had a Leadership Day 
and I thought I'd share a few pictures. 
My School, Lubavitcher Yeshiva Academy follows a Leader In Me Model based on Stephen Covey's Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.  
This is the second year of using this learning model and we had our first leadership day.


Each class got to choose a section of the school to decorate in a way that shows leadership.
My students wanted to make a bobble head band standing on the school singing about leadership. Mission accomplished!
The original plan included a tape recording of the class singing a song that they made about leadership.
Efrayim's tape recorder didn't work well so they wrote the words to the song on a poster to the left.


Other plans included these cutouts that you can stand behind :)


This project was planned, created, and accomplished entirely by the kids with me there just to assist & keep them on track. Anyone who has ever taught knows what a huge production this is. 


So, this was just the wall. We had parents in the building for an hour and a half in the morning and again in the afternoon. Fortunately I'm just an afternoon teacher.



Parents could walk in & out of rooms at will 
as classes demonstrated how leadership works in the school.
We have leadership binders that we keep and we were updating them & sharing them with parents.


The sessions ended with a short student driven assembly.


I still have reservations about the amount of time and effort that goes into this model but I'll tell you. I've never seen a bunch of kids able to work together to accomplish things like these kids do.






No comments:

Post a Comment